Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thrown Out By My Wife After 31 Good Years

Absolutely no sentiment or nostalgic feelings shown by her. Just a chuckle and a muttered "worn out."


Not me, but the ironing board she got at some kind of shower before our wedding. She said it finally fell apart. I asked if she didn't perhaps want to just retire it to a place of honor in an out of the way corner instead of just tossing it. After all, it has served faithfully, and seems to deserve some kind of sentiment or appreciation for years of good service. I told her I wouldn't just toss out an old hunting coat that was worn. I would give it a place of honor in the closet, and remember pleasurable trips afield each time I saw it while grabbing a clean pair of khakis. Even a worn out farm implement gets a place of honor along a fence row. As I drive by it on the tractor, I remember the day I was plowing the 20 acre field behind the pine lot and saw the 10 point buck, or when I plowed up a perfect arrow point with it back in '78. I wouldn't just sell it for scrap. Too many memories.

Women just don't make much sense sometimes. Why get all sentimental about an anniversary, or something like that, and then just ignore an old ironing board that has rendered faithful service?

She gave me sort of a funny look, scary in a way. She has thrown out some of my old hunting coats, too.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about old letters, cards and especially construction paper art made by my now grown children ... Our house is a fire hazard.

    ReplyDelete