Sunday, June 5, 2011

Six Day War

June 5, 1967 . . . . . . . .

I had just graduated from TCHS the week before.  I was still running my paper route, up at about 5:00 every morning, listening to the news as I drove my VW all over Butler, and reading the headlines as I put the papers together.  The Israelis, in a preemptive strike, wiped out the Egyptian air force while it was on the ground, and Israeli troops and tanks attacked Egyptian troops and tanks that were massed on the Israeli border.  I believe that I read where the Jews only left a dozen fighter aircraft to defend their homeland while the rest of their AF attacked the Egyptians.   The Israelis refueled and rearmed their jets (mostly F-4 Phantoms, if I remember correctly)  and destroyed most of the Jordanian and Syrian aircraft.

Rather than giving a complete summary of the events, I will provide this link:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/67_War.html

No matter what the rhetoric is today, the Israelis were not the aggressors in 1967.   The leaders of Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan had sworn to eradicate Israel, and had ringed Israel with troops, armor, and aircraft.   Israel just beat the crap out of them before they could figure out what was happening.  When B. Obama calls for Israel to return to its "pre-1967 borders,"  he is demanding that they return to what was then, and what would be today, an untenable defensive position.

I have stopped wondering just whose side Obama is on.  I think I know now.

1 comment: